Orthodontic treatment for children
Many of the things we learn to do as children stay with us for a lifetime. Cleaning and looking after our teeth is no different. Establishing a good oral health routine at an early age will help ensure your child understands the importance of caring for their teeth. It will also help them to enjoy the benefits of a healthy smile.
Part of their early oral health routine should be regular visits to your family dentist, as well as an early orthodontic consultation with a specialist orthodontist. The Australian Society of Orthodontists recommends this early consultation takes place between the ages of seven and 11.
The importance of early treatment
Why is it so important for children to visit the orthodontist at such a young age? For starters, it helps them to feel comfortable in the clinic environment, and here at Straight Smiles we have worked hard to create a welcoming environment for our patients, no matter what age you are.
An early orthodontic consultation also helps us to take a proactive approach to your child’s orthodontic treatment. We can identify any problems that may be developing, address their orthodontic needs, and work to reduce the extent of orthodontic treatment they may need later, especially during those self-conscious teenage years!
Does your child need orthodontic treatment?
Every child can benefit from an early orthodontic consultation, but some of the signs to look out for that could indicate your child needs to see an orthodontist, include:
- Thumb sucking – which can cause the teeth to protrude from the gums
- Difficulty chewing – which could be an indication your child’s jaws are out of alignment
- Excessive spacing between adult teeth
- Crowding of adult teeth
Your family dentist may refer your child for specialist orthodontic treatment or you can book your child in for an early orthodontic consultation. No referral is needed.
Benefits of early orthodontic treatment
- Establishes good habits
- Teaches your child that the orthodontic or dental clinic isn’t a scary place
- Greater understanding of the importance of looking after their teeth
- Better overall health and well-being as correctly aligned jaws can help with chewing and digestion of food
- Reduces the need for extensive orthodontic treatment in later years
Book your child’s early consultation
Give your child the best chance of a beautiful smile. Book them in for an early consultation with our team of specialist orthodontists and orthodontic professionals. We’ll help to make orthodontic treatment fun.Book an early consultation